Friday, October 18, 2013

Souls of the forgotten

The sultry, soaked sod squelches soundly b’low
My feet.  Barefoot, I tread unwillingly.
Blood-red berries glow in the frosted air.
Birds chirp to the beat of my icy breath.
They spread their wings, their songs of the lost ones
Who once ruled the land I travel across.
Known for their fearlessness, they conquered all
That stood before their intrepid weapons.
But nonetheless, they carried themselves here
And became one with Gaia, Mother Earth.
They watch through the trees, black eyes and pale skin.
Birds dwell on them and leaves become from them.
But none today.  No leaves shine through the frost.
All birds suddenly vanish with the wisps.
They tangle around my ankles, my hands,
My fingers, intertwined, with ancestral
Hope rushing through me.  I force my eyes shut.
The voices, the chanting grows infinite
In volume.  Long hair and thick spears, blued lips.
Fleeting images wrap me, too tightly.
My eyes, shut harder.  My face drawn with pain.
My mind, broken point of calamity.
Until silence.  Silence doth come to me.
Eyes look up and  trees look incessantly
To me, waiting for my demise?  My leave?
I walk on, the ground frosting with ev’ry step.
Blood flowing from my feet, purple hands and
Black fingers circle each other, gath’ring
Warmth of the invisible, unknown fire.
The ground rushes up to me, slicing my
Skin, freezing my life, devouring my soul.
Souls of the forgotten hath not forgot.


1 comment:

  1. I love the picture you paint with this poem. It's very vivid. I especially like the auditory imagery you use. In addition, I really like the use of enjambment. It helps make the poem flow. The use of alliteration in the first line sounds a little forced. I'm not so sure about the word soundly, but I really like the word squelches. It gives the auditory imagery I mentioned earlier.
    Overall, I think the poem gives the reader a very clear picture of what it is like to walk in the woods and hear one's ancestors. The last three lines are my favorite. The final line gives that nice "ker chunk" that we looked for in class.

    ReplyDelete